Idaho Turbo Diesels  

Go Back   Idaho Turbo Diesels > Ford Trucks > General Ford > 6.9 and 7.3 IDI Ford Diesels 1983 - 1993 > 6.9 and 7.3 IDI Performance

6.9 and 7.3 IDI Performance 6.9 and 7.3 IDI Performance upgrades

Old 07-29-2007, 10:30 PM
ITD Member
Stock

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Send a message via AIM to BigOne
Default K&N Air Filter

Has anyone put an K&N air filter on a 7.3IDI? Pros and Cons? How about there oil filter? Thanks.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:51 PM
Banned
Stock

K & N stops more dirt for about the first three or four washings. After that it is letting a bunch through. Also, it is common and easy to over oil the air filter.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:36 PM
ITD Member
Bombed

Location: Soon to be under a bridge with a river view, thanks for the job Obama.

Being a dealer for K&N, I have been exposed to some testing that is not always available to the general public. One of the new tests involves filters that have been oiled to various degrees ranging from under-oiled to over-oiled using a machine that produces a constant range of suction with a simulated MAF sensor. The sensor showed no difference in operating range due to the under- or over- oiling. As for the longevity of the filter, K&N would not offer a one million mile warranty if they could not back it up. If you would like I will offer a money back guarantee on any filter you purchase from me if you are not satisfied. As a side note, if you drive in very dusty conditions I would recommend a pre-filter to extened the filter cleaning intervals. If you have any other concerns please feel free to consult the K&N website or forward your questions to me.
Ken
Old 07-30-2007, 05:12 PM
ITD Member
BOMB Master

I have run K&N filters in my truck (98 2500) and also my Jeep (98 Jeep Grand Cherokee) and I would NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER use one of those again. Of course that's just my 2 cents. These were the drop in filters to replace the paper one.

The truck wasn't too bad. Every time I changed the oil, I pulled the air tube to get better access to the oil filter, and the tube was always dusty on the inside as well as the turbo vanes. I was worried on how much dust was getting into the engine, so I replaced the K&N with a Napa Gold paper filter. I've put 30,000 miles on that Napa filter. No dusting, and no change in performance/fuel mileage that I could tell.

On the Jeep, I was replacing a cracked Banks header (4.0L) so I had to take all the intake off. The filter box had a decent amount of sand (from Moab, Utah) in the bottom, and the filter had quite a bit as well. BUT, so did the intake tube. The throttle body had sand in it, stuck to the oily film in there and the actual intake manifold had a good 1/16" of sand in the bottom. I don't mean sandy dust, I'm taking no shit actual sand, like I grabbed a handful and dumped it in the intake manifold! I meant to take pictures, but for some reason I wasn't able to. The Jeep now also has a Napa paper filter.

I have seen this happen on a few other rigs as well. On a 2001 2500 CTD, and also on a 2001 1500 with the FIPK... both would let dust in.

To me, it's not worth the maybe 5hp and .02 mpg when it's letting dust/sand in the engine. Maybe I didn't oil it just right or whatever, but I know the K&Ns let nasties in and the Napa paper filters don't.
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Last edited by nate; 07-30-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:05 AM
ITD Member
Diesel Junkie

You will not EVER catch a K&N on my Diesel truck...they plain SUCK. They do not catch near enough dirt and will provide a quick end to a 10k engine in short order. I ran one on one of my past trucks and found dirt residue in just a few thousand miles in the intake tube. I would probably run one in a gasser but that would be a big Maybe.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:17 AM
ITD Member
Diesel Junkie

I have to agree with the last two posts.

I had one on my truck when I brought it home....didnt take long to hit the garbage.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Diesel Junkie

my bro in law had one on one of their company truck i think it was an 03 7.3 well took it to the dealer for some warrenty work and the dealer voided it because the turbo was dusted and he was running a k&n drop in
Old 08-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Mopar1973Man
Guest / Unknown User

Downloads:
Uploads:

I almost bought one... I held a brand new up to the light and was counting holes quickly and showed the salesman. He was shocked... Then we held up a BHAF and no holes of light... If you can see light its NOT FILTERING! That why I got a BHAF and I never had a dust problem on my truck. The BHAF filter I got now has close to 50K miles and still going!

As for performance... Look at my signature... 381/826 Not bad in my book!
Old 08-16-2007, 01:15 PM
ITD Member
Bombed

K&N's 1,000,000 mile warranty doesn't make me feel any better.

"If the filter FAILS in a million miles we will replace it" Does anyone else see the problem here? If the filter fails, that means the motor is toast and the last thing I want is another filter that is going to fail on my new motor.

If the warranty covered my motor from filter failure then they'd have my attention.

95 F-250 PSD 4x4 5spd ex-cab LB

346.5/692TQ Aug 11 2007
Old 12-18-2008, 07:39 PM
ITD Member
Stock

I put one on my 7.3l IDI a few weeks ago and it seems to work good.