Idaho Turbo Diesels  

Go Back   Idaho Turbo Diesels > Dodge Ram > General Dodge > 1st Generation > 1st Gen. Powertrain

1st Gen. Powertrain Discussion of devices that are directly involved in the power production and all that is required to keep the truck moving. Engine , Transmission, Etc.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:50 AM
ITD Administrator
Diesel Guru

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to millco
Lightbulb VE Timing / Install Question

I have a 12v that had the injection pump removed before I got it. I have no idea if they turned the engine over to #1 TDC or anything like that before pulling the pump.

My question is how do I time or install the 'new' pump? If the gear only turns 1 rev then I can't get the pump 180 out. But if it turns the same as the crank then I will have to roll the engine over and get it up on #1. If this is the case, how do I tell where the pump is at?

Oh, and what do the fasteners look like? I will need the nut that holds the pump and gear together and I guess the pump just has nuts to hold it on the studs?
4WD 24 Valve CUMMINS 1 TON SRW SLT ‘D-50’, MEGA CAB, Sunroof, 48RE with a Trans Go shift kit and Mag-Hytec double deep pan. Largest air filter you will see (VB-BHAF) (Very Big – Big Honkin’ Air Filter). 2 micron fuel filter, extra water separator, Walbro Lift pump modification (Running 20 PSI), Stock CP3 and 60HP Injectors . Smarty Power on Demand! Chevron Delo Oils and ELC Coolant. Wix, Napa, Donaldson and Fleetguard filters. Di Pricol and Iss Pro gauges. Modified RBW 5th Wheel and Goose Neck Hitch. Road Armor Front Stealth Winch Bumper with Titan II Guard with PIAA lighting. Bushwhacker Pocket Flares. Mag-Hytec Pan on the 11 ˝” AAM Rear End. I want Firestone Air Bags, projector and LED lighting and a custom rear bumper!
92 Dodge Cummins W-350 4WD 1 Ton Cab and Chassis
New Venture NV4500 5 Speed Transmission. Dana 60 front and Dana 70 rear 3.54 gears and a Gear Vendor over drive. NP 205 Transfer Case. LT235/85/16 Tires. KDP (Killer Dowel Pin) and timing case bolts were Retained in time! Delo 15W-40 Engine Oil. Fleetguard Oil Filter. Fleetguard Fuel Filters. Pre Filter and Water Separator For the Fuel System. Super Tech 2 Cycle (TCW3) Oil Lubricates the ULSD ( Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel ) Fuel @ 1 Oz. per gallon. Diaphragm Style factory Lift Pump ( Transfer Pump ). Stock VE Injection Pump from Pensacola Diesel. Dual Optima Red Tops.
I want: Fast Coolers on the NV-4500. Pac Brake Exhaust Brake, Auxiliary Fuel Tank and Boxes.
I've got 1 2000 24V Cummins with a VP44 injection pump and it's a cracked '53' block. Wonder if it can be welded back up....
2004 Desert Fox 28KS Bumper Pull Toy Hauler
Cummins / Onan 4000W Generator, Eaz-Lift 14,000 LB Equalizer Hitch and Sway Bar. Custom installed: Wave 3 and Wave 8 Catalytic Heaters, Pump soap dispensers in the sinks, and Inteli-Power 9100 Series Converter with a Charge Wizard!

Please visit: Idaho Turbo Diesels .com / Events to Join in on the Fun!

Proud to be a DAV! Please support all our Vets and these organizations: Idaho DAV , Idaho “N” Heroes Outdoors Inc. and the VA
I support Idaho Open and Concealed Carry .org !! Founded by Tony Snesko
Open Carry is the Beautiful Bold Face of the 2nd Amendment
Let's face it: It would only take one well placed shot at any criminal event to make a drastic change in the lives of those involved!!
Look at it this way. Which would you rather have:
1. Police dispatched and only 3 or 4 minutes away. - OR -
2. Yourself or another responsible citizen already 'on scene' with a weapon and the means to change the history of what a felon has in mind!
Old 11-20-2010, 08:36 PM
ITD's Local Asshole
Diesel Guru

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

dunno and dunno.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:47 PM
ITD Member
Slightly Bombed

I've got part of the info in my head but will need to dig out my Manual to get all you need. I will dig it out and post in the morning.

Bob
1993 CTD 4X2 Horton fan,Green H P A/F, Custom Air Intake, T Worline intake horn PDR HX35 cold side, 14cm W/G hot side, ATS exh - ported & polished, 15%++ pump / DennyT StageII pin, DD3+ inj.,BD exh brake, 4" Rip Rook exh., NV4500HD, SB CON-O clutch, guages, 3200 GSK and Snow Stage 3 W/M. 394/888 on #2 - 440/889 on W/M
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Beauchaine For This Useful Post:
MUDDY (11-20-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 10:19 PM
ITD ADMIN/SITE OWNER/CLUB FOUNDER
Diesel Guru

Downloads: 1

2WD 12 Valve CUMMINS ONE TON DUALLY, CLUB CAB, FLAT BED by Bradford. NV4500. 5th Gear Nut Retained Preventively. South Bend Clutch Con-O. Goose Neck Hitch. Firestone Air Bags. Tork Lift Super Hitch With Double Tube Extension For Towing the Trailer behind the Camper. Custom Moose Bumper. Camper Tie Downs. Pac Brake Exhaust Brake. Auxilery Fuel Tank and Boxes. KDP ( Killer Dowel Pin ) Retained. 4.10 Gears in the rear Dana 80. Mag hy-tec Rear Pan on the Dana 80. Fast Coolers on the NV-4500 5 Speed Transmission. 235/85/16 10 Ply Tires. Gear Vendors Overdrive. Limited Slip Differential. #10 Fuel Plate in the P7100 Injection Pump. Factory Stock 215 Injectors. Pump Timing set at 15.5*. 3K GSK ( Governor Spring Kit ). HX-35 / HX-40 Hybrid Turbo. 60 Compressor 14 Wastegated. 4 Inch Diamond Eye Exhaust From Source Automotive. 2 Dipricol Pyrometers Boost guage Tranny Temp Guage. Gauge Saver T Backpressure Device, High Idle Device from HBOWERS. Cooldown Timer. Security System. Custom Adjustable Valet Switch. CUMMINS Chrome Kit. Prime Loc Fuel Filter System (Fleetguard spin On Fuel Filter) after the N.A.P.A. 4309 Filter Head and 3123 NAPA Fuel Filter / Water Separator. Optima Red Top Batteries. Fleetguard Stratapore Oil Filter. Amsoil In the Cummins Engine, the New Venture 4500, The Gear Vendor Auxilary Overdrive Transmission, and the Dana 80 Rear End. Supertech 2 Stroke TCW3 2 Cycle Oil in Each Tank of Diesel Fuel. (1/2 oz per Gallon) 385 Rear Wheel Horsepower and 837 Rear Wheel Torque on the Dynojet With the Fuel Plate Moved Ahead a Bit. Lance 8.5

03 Crew Cab 4WD. Smarty, BBi Stage 1 Injectors, Source Automotive Twins. Bunch of mods from Source. 717 RWHP @ Idaho Turbo Diesels Dyno Day.

2002.5 ETH-DEE 2500 Quad Long Bed. 4WD. NV5600. Smarty S-03 and soon a Mopar Man High Idle Mod.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:26 PM
ITD Member
Slightly Bombed

This will be a long post so please bare with me. I will attempt to cover the following:

1. Installation of the VE pump.
2. Valve adjustment.
3. KDP & Front cast bolt fix.

1. Installation of the VE IP in the 1st Gen Cummins 5.9 inline 6 cyl Diesel engine.

The engine timing pin is located below the VE IP. Since in your case the IP is out of the engine this should be visible. Below is a quote directly from the Dodge 1993 Service Manual. This should apply to all first VE IP equiped engines.

"Use the timing pin to locate Top Dead Center (TDC) for cylinder #1. The timing pin is located at the back of the gear housing and below the the IP. Be sure to disengage the timing pin after locating TDC." Push the pin forwad to engage - rotate the enging using the alternator pully bolt until it is lined up with the hole in camshaft drive gear.

The timing pin engages the camshaft drive gear to locate TDC in cylinder #1. The engine is now in the correct position to accept a properly timed VE IP. If you are installing a rebuilt or new pump it should already be timed. If not - the pump needs to be checked for correct timing or timed. You will need a dial indicator to set the timing. It might be easier to have timing set at a Bosch certified rebuil facility. If this is the pump that came off the engine I would question the "why" of this removal.

You can check to see if you're at TDC by removing the#1 valve cover and checking the intake & exhaust valves. Both valves should be fully closed. This is also the correct position to adjust the valves.

To access the gear case side of the IP you need to remove the oil fill tube from the gear case. This will give you access to the front of the pump. There s a key way on the pump drive gear which is in the correctposition to accept a properly timed pump. The service manual suggests that you use a shop towel put in place to keep the key, spring washer and the front pump nut from falling into the gear case.

Again since the pump is out of the engine it will easy to checkand install new IP mounting nuts. They are metric - sorry I don't remember the size or pitch of these nuts.. The firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4. The pump rotation is CCW Injector line #6 hooks up to the top most outlet on the rear of the pump. In the center of the 6 injection lines is a bolt - this is where pump timing is set.

If the KDP and gear case to engine mounting bolts have not been addressed I would strongly suggest you deal with these now. This will also make installation of the VE IP much easier.

2. Valve adjustment of the valves on all the 12V Cummins 5.9L engines installed on all 12V engines fron 1989 to 1998.

Using the previously described procedure for locating #1 TDC. Remove the "Cummins" top cover and all six valve covers. The valve cover gaskets are reuseable, but are not eepensive if the need to be repalced. Engine temp must be below 140 degrees when adjustment is done.

Intake Valves set to 0.010"
Exhaust valves set to 0.020"

E=Exhaust
I=Intake

All adjusting lock nuts are torqued to 18 lbft

Step #1
Set the E & I valves on #1cyl, the I valve only on #2, E only on # 3, I only on #4 and E only on #5.

Step #2
Mark the vibration damper at a spot that will allow you to mark the gear case cover. Rotate the engine 360 degrees - NOTE make sure the timing pin is disengaged before you rotate the engine.

Set E on #2, I on #3, E on #4 I on #5 and both E & I on #6.

Reinstall all gaskets & sheet metal - you're done with the valve adjustment.

I want to get this up so iI can grab a bite to eat before the KDP preceedure.
1993 CTD 4X2 Horton fan,Green H P A/F, Custom Air Intake, T Worline intake horn PDR HX35 cold side, 14cm W/G hot side, ATS exh - ported & polished, 15%++ pump / DennyT StageII pin, DD3+ inj.,BD exh brake, 4" Rip Rook exh., NV4500HD, SB CON-O clutch, guages, 3200 GSK and Snow Stage 3 W/M. 394/888 on #2 - 440/889 on W/M
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Beauchaine For This Useful Post:
millco (11-23-2010), MUDDY (11-21-2010), rebar (10-07-2013)
Old 11-21-2010, 02:43 PM
ITD Member
Diesel Guru

There is one for the KDP in the teck section
Old 11-21-2010, 04:05 PM
ITD Member
Slightly Bombed

Page #2

KDP & Internal gear case bolt fix on the 1989 - 1993 Cummins 12V engines.

It will prove o be much easier to remove drive pully/vibration damper, if you remove the radiator. It is also a good time to replace all cooling system hoses.

Remove the following:

1. Serpentine Belt - replace as necessary.
2. Cooling Fan.
3. Fan pulley.

The drive pully/vibration damper is held on by 4 bolts. Some have found that it is easist to use an impact wrench to break them loose. I have another way of doing this but hesitate to post the procedure because it is controversial. If you have trouble with the above, PM me with your phone numberso we can discuss this one on one.

You will need a new front seal for the crankshaft and a new gasket for the front cover. Some have re-usd the front seal and siliconed the gear case cover when reinstalled.

Remove the bolts on the front cover then remove the front cover - carefully inspect all gears for any damage. As you face the front of the engine you can see how the VE IP mounts and how the timimg pin engages the camshaft drive gear. On the upper left you will see a bolt, just above and to the left is a forged hole. This is a locating hole used to position the inner gear case to the engine. This is where the KDP aka (Killer Dowel Pin) is. There is nothing to keep it in place and it can actually fall out and drop into the engine and do serious damage. You can tap this pin back in place if necessary. You can stake the outside of the hole AND make a tab out of either a coat hanger piece of sheet metal. It needs to be steped because of the casting of the inner gear case. The bolt I reffered to will be used to hold the tab in place over the KDP hole and needs to be cleaned and locktited in place.

There are 4 other bolts that have to be addressed. Three of these can be removed, cleaned and locktited back in place. These can be accessed by moving the camshaft drive gear. The 5th cannot be removed do to its location but can be backed out and cleaned. Then you can use the green "weeping" locktite and re-tighten it. You will have to bend a wrench to fit into its position.

Re-install all parts. If you decide to use a new crankshaft seal it will come with installation instructions.

Hope this helps Good Luck.

Bob
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Beauchaine For This Useful Post:
millco (11-23-2010), MUDDY (11-21-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 04:31 PM
ITD ADMIN/SITE OWNER/CLUB FOUNDER
Diesel Guru

Downloads: 1

great info
2WD 12 Valve CUMMINS ONE TON DUALLY, CLUB CAB, FLAT BED by Bradford. NV4500. 5th Gear Nut Retained Preventively. South Bend Clutch Con-O. Goose Neck Hitch. Firestone Air Bags. Tork Lift Super Hitch With Double Tube Extension For Towing the Trailer behind the Camper. Custom Moose Bumper. Camper Tie Downs. Pac Brake Exhaust Brake. Auxilery Fuel Tank and Boxes. KDP ( Killer Dowel Pin ) Retained. 4.10 Gears in the rear Dana 80. Mag hy-tec Rear Pan on the Dana 80. Fast Coolers on the NV-4500 5 Speed Transmission. 235/85/16 10 Ply Tires. Gear Vendors Overdrive. Limited Slip Differential. #10 Fuel Plate in the P7100 Injection Pump. Factory Stock 215 Injectors. Pump Timing set at 15.5*. 3K GSK ( Governor Spring Kit ). HX-35 / HX-40 Hybrid Turbo. 60 Compressor 14 Wastegated. 4 Inch Diamond Eye Exhaust From Source Automotive. 2 Dipricol Pyrometers Boost guage Tranny Temp Guage. Gauge Saver T Backpressure Device, High Idle Device from HBOWERS. Cooldown Timer. Security System. Custom Adjustable Valet Switch. CUMMINS Chrome Kit. Prime Loc Fuel Filter System (Fleetguard spin On Fuel Filter) after the N.A.P.A. 4309 Filter Head and 3123 NAPA Fuel Filter / Water Separator. Optima Red Top Batteries. Fleetguard Stratapore Oil Filter. Amsoil In the Cummins Engine, the New Venture 4500, The Gear Vendor Auxilary Overdrive Transmission, and the Dana 80 Rear End. Supertech 2 Stroke TCW3 2 Cycle Oil in Each Tank of Diesel Fuel. (1/2 oz per Gallon) 385 Rear Wheel Horsepower and 837 Rear Wheel Torque on the Dynojet With the Fuel Plate Moved Ahead a Bit. Lance 8.5

03 Crew Cab 4WD. Smarty, BBi Stage 1 Injectors, Source Automotive Twins. Bunch of mods from Source. 717 RWHP @ Idaho Turbo Diesels Dyno Day.

2002.5 ETH-DEE 2500 Quad Long Bed. 4WD. NV5600. Smarty S-03 and soon a Mopar Man High Idle Mod.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:03 PM
ITD Member
Diesel Guru

X2
Old 11-23-2010, 05:05 AM
ITD Administrator
Diesel Guru

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to millco

Yes it is! Thanks so much!

Do you have the procedure for setting up the injection pump? The pump I have didn't come off this engine so I have to do all of this from scratch.

Thank you very much for getting this info for me!!